Sunday, December 19, 2010

Welcome to Karl Knows Best Canada's Travel Deal Blog

What is Karl Knows Best all about?

This site is about sharing our little tricks to traveling affordably and often.

We are two days away from the longest day of the year - December 21st.  If feels like yesterday the weather was nice here in Ottawa.  But now - I can't wait until my next vacation.  I recently bought a ticket to Tokyo, Japan, with my girlfriend, Helene, and her brothers.  A little bit of hunting and a lot of luck got us all a pretty sweet deal.

Use Your Points

Helene's brother gave her a business class ticket - yes all expenses paid (except tax) - to Japan.  It goes to show that Aeroplan miles do pay off for some people.  Did I mention he also got his other brother a business class ticket as well. Unfortunately, he ran out of points for me...

While it may seem fairly obvious, most people I know don't collect air miles, aeroplan or any of the other travel point.   Not to mention, most people don't know their points expire after a year (I lost 18,000 points), which is still a pretty sore spot for me.

While I didn't get a free business class ticket, I faired out pretty well. I had accumulated $606 dollars worth of points on my credit card, so I still got a pretty good deal. Scotia Rewards (through Scotia Bank) matched an Air Canada 15% off deal and I ended up booking my flight for $413. Can't argue with that.

The point: Having a little bit of patience and a lot of persistence pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment